I am currently working as a Production Manager in my organization. This Senior Managerial Position (SMP) makes it easier for me to monitor and supervise a large number of employees. I always use the best leadership practices in order to support my employees. My team focuses on the best practices and strategies in order to increase their outputs. My obligation is to promote the best values in my team. The “approach encourages every employee to support the company’s goals” (Kelbaugh & Earnest, 2008, p. 19).
Organizational leaders should possess appropriate skills and competencies (Katz & Miller, 2013). Such skills will ensure every manager supports the needs of his or her workers. They should also offer accurate incentives in order to promote the level of production. A positive strategy can identify the existing gaps in every team. The next step is to promote the best workplace ethics.
My organizational team has remained effective and efficient for several years. I have always played the role of a team leader. Every member of the team understands his or her obligations. The team embraces the best practices and ideas. This strategy makes it easier for the organization to achieve its potentials (Kelbaugh & Earnest, 2008). The strengths presented below explain why the team has remained efficient.
- Every employee supports his or her team
- Every individual in the team understands his or her roles
- The team has several leaders who focus on the best results
- Decision-making is a powerful practice embraced by every member of the team
- Every person plays a unique role to ensure the team addresses its challenges
- The team has been producing quality products every day
However, some challenges have been making my team less effective. Such challenges have forced the organization to identify new ideas and practices. This approach will eventually make the firm successful. Such challenges include:
- Many team members do not report their challenges and obstacles
- Communication is usually a major challenge between individuals from various backgrounds
- Most of the employees do not present their grievances thus affecting the performance of the team
- The team has encountered various issues whenever interacting with individuals from other departments
- The organization fails to promote the best working conditions for its employees thus affecting their performance
A positive strategy will address the issues affecting my team. I am planning to use “various strategies in order to improve the efficiency of my team” (Katz & Miller, 2013, p. 38). My team members come from different cultural backgrounds. This fact has affected the level of communication. These attributes will address the issues affecting my team:
- I will develop new teams in the organization. The practice will ensure every individual interacts with one another.
- I will embrace the power of cohesiveness. The practice will ensure more individuals interact with one another.
- Every individual will be encouraged to be part of the decision-making process. The strategy will ensure the team achieves its potentials.
Managers should implement new changes in order to achieve their business goals. I have undertaken several changes in my organization. This strategy has always supported the changing needs of the company. Managers can use various Change Models depending on the targeted outcomes. Every organizational change requires the four functions of management. Such “functions include planning, leading, organising, and controlling” (Katz & Miller, 2013, p. 62). I will also face “more challenges in the future in an attempt to implement new organisational changes” (Katz & Miller, 2013, p. 62). Managers should deal with every challenge whenever promoting a new change (Kelbaugh & Earnest, 2008). Some of these challenges include:
- Resistance to Change: Many employees will be against every kind of change. Managers should use appropriate communication strategies and Change Models in order to encourage every targeted employee.
- Lack of Resources: Every change requires new skills, resources, and finances. The incapability of these resources will make it impossible for every firm to achieve its business goals. Business leaders “should identify the best sources of the targeted materials in order to have a successful change” (Katz & Miller, 2013, p. 62).
- Use of Ineffective Change Models: Several Change Models make it easier for managers to achieve their goals. Managers “can fail to achieve their potentials after using the wrong Change Model” (Katz & Miller, 2013, p. 78). I will examine the applicability of different models. The above practice will make it easier for me to support my team.
- Lack of Trust, Cooperation, and Problem-Solving Strategies: Some members of my team may present various problems that might affect every targeted change. The individuals might also fail to address the challenges facing my organization. The absence of trust and cooperation has also been affecting my managerial strategies.
Managers “encounter much resistance whenever executing new changes” (Katz & Miller, 2013, p. 82). Resistance to change can take different shapes depending on the nature of the organization. Some of my employees fail to support the proposed change. Some workers “also fail to embrace modern technologies thus affecting the future of the organisation” (Katz & Miller, 2013, p. 82). Some employees quit their jobs whenever their companies are introducing new changes.
This issue has continued to affect the organization’s performance. The existence of such resistance has been affecting the success of my company. Resistance to change makes it impossible “for managers to achieve their goals within the stipulated period” (Kelbaugh & Earnest, 2008, p. 17). Managers should therefore use the best concepts in order to deal with every resistance to change. Some of these concepts include:
- Promote the best communication in the targeted organization.
- Empower every team leader in order to achieve the best goals.
- Ensure every employee understands the purpose of the proposed change and the targeted outcomes.
- Formulate new functions teams in order to support every phase of the change.
- Gather the best evidence and responses from different stakeholders, employees, and managers.
- Execute every aspect of the implementation process in a professional manner.
- Re-examine the successes and weaknesses of the implemented change.
Managing Transversal Issues (Globalisation, Ethics, and Sustainability)
The issue of business ethics is what causes several challenges in many organizations. Every firm should engage in appropriate ethical practices. Managers should ensure every organization embraces the concept of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). This practice will ensure the company achieves its goals within the shortest period. The issue of ethics has always affected my expectations as a Production Manager.
My department should dispose of its wastes in an ethical manner. I have also “been focusing on the best practices that can promote the use of sustainable energy” (Kelbaugh & Earnest, 2008, p. 8). My dream is to ensure my department supports every natural environment. This company can “use various strategies such as emission of environmentally-friendly gases in order to achieve its goals” (Kelbaugh & Earnest, 2008, p. 8). Business ethics remains a critical concern in every business. My organization uses these strategies to promote its ethical practices:
- The company promotes the concept of Corporate Social Responsibility
- The firm is identifying new sources of sustainable energy
- Every manager is working hard to support the surrounding environment
- The firm supports the needs of different stakeholders and members of the community
- The company strives to improve the working conditions of its employees
- The firm is currently producing effective products that will support the demands of its customers
The above practices have made the firm successful. New ideas “will ensure my level of management emerges successful” (Kelbaugh & Earnest, 2008, p. 12). The first approach is encouraging every employee to promote the best working condition. I will empower my employees “in order to produce quality products that fulfill the needs of our customers” (Kelbaugh & Earnest, 2008, p. 12). I will promote the best workplace standards and ethics. This strategy will ensure my department promotes the best business practices. The next practice is dealing with discrimination and prejudice in every workplace.
Recommendations for Every Management Area
|Management Area||Recommendations||Key Resources|
|Managing Teams|| || |
|Managing Change|| || |
|Managing Transversal Issues|| || |
Katz, J., & Miller, F. (2013). Opening Doors to Teamwork and Collaboration: 4 Keys That Change Everything. New York, NY: Barrett-Koehler Store.
Kelbaugh, B., & Earnest, G. (2008). Indicators of Success for Teamwork: What Extension Professionals Need to Excel as Team Members. Journal of Extension, 46(4), 1-24.